Accomplished Jurist & Conservative Legal Scholar
- Justice, Supreme Court of Texas
- Justice, 14th Court of Appeals
- Judge, 55th District Court, Harris County
- Private Practice, Baker Botts, L.L.P.
- Briefing Attorney to the Hon. Greg Abbott, Texas Supreme Court
- Briefing Attorney to the Hon. Jack Hightower, Texas Supreme Court
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Houston Law Review
- Appointed by Chief Justice Wallace Jefferson to the Supreme Court’s Multidistrict Litigation Panel
- Served as Judge of Harris County’s STAR (“Success Through Addiction Recovery”) Drug Court No. 1
- Member and frequent speaker, Federalist Society
- Taught Constitutional Law for the National Judicial College
- Author of scholarly articles published by the Houston Law Review, the Stetson Law Review, and the St. Mary’s Journal on Legal Malpractice & Ethics
- Co-editor of The Texas Rules of Evidence Handbook, a scholarly treatise
Honors, Awards, Accomplishments
- Consistently one of the highest rated jurists in Texas according to the Houston Bar Association’s and State Bar of Texas’ judicial bar polls
- Named Appellate Judge of the Year by the Texas Association of Civil Trial & Appellate Specialists and named Civil District Judge of the Year by two law-enforcement organizations
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Strong Candidate for State’s Highest Court
- Ran and won successfully as a Republican on four primary and general-election ballots and well-known among Republican grassroots
- Won with the widest margin in all the Houston Court of Appeals races in 2008 and 2012
- In 2012, garnered a larger vote total than any other non-statewide candidate in the State of Texas
Jeff is board-certified in civil trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Before taking the bench, he practiced at Baker Botts, a prestigious Houston law firm, trying jury cases throughout Southeast Texas. Before joining Baker Botts, he was a briefing attorney to Justices Jack Hightower, a conservative Democrat, and Greg Abbott, a Republican, on the Texas Supreme Court.
Family, Faith & Community
- Jeff and Susannah Brown have been married for 21 years and have three children, Kathleen, Rob and Gus
- Member, Board of Trustees, and Scouting Ministries Coordinator at Bellaire United Methodist Church
- Scout leader, having become an Eagle Scout himself over 25 years ago
- Serves on the advisory board of LifeHouse of Houston, a home for unwed pregnant teens
Education And Service To The Community
Jeff earned his bachelor’s degree at the University of Texas and his law degree with high honors from the University of Houston. While in law school he served as an editor of the Houston Law Review. In 2006, the Texas Young Lawyers Association named Jeff Outstanding Young Lawyer of Texas. Jeff is a Life Member of both the Texas Exes and the University of Houston Alumni Association, and currently serves vice-president of the University of Houston Law Alumni Association.
An Eagle Scout, Jeff served on the Sam Houston Area Boy Scouts’ Urban Scouting Committee, a program dedicated to bringing Scouting’s values to inner-city young men. Jeff remains an active Scout leader, and is also a Life Member and longtime committeeman of the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. He is also a longtime volunteer in the Houston Bar Association’s Annual John J. Eikenburg Law Week Fun Run benefiting The Center, a not-for-profit agency serving adults with developmental disabilities.